Word documents not printing collated copies

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Fri Apr 8 01:28:01 PDT 2005

Hello,

I have a curious problem that I'm having a lot of difficulty in tracking
down. I have Samba printers that talk to a Cups backend. Everything
works correctly, execpt for collated copies under Word or Excel (Office
2003).

Consider a 3-page document, for which a user requests two copies. They
tick the "collated copies" checkbox. The correct behaviour is to print
the pages in the order 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3.

I am experiencing two different anomalous behaviours. On some printers
the pages come out in the order 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3. On some other printers
the pages come out in the order 1, 2, 3. I.e., the second copy is ignored.

Other applications seem to work just fine. I have looked at this from a
number of angles and I'm still not sure of a line of attack.

What I do know is that it used to work when the users hit the printers
directly with the HP JetAdmin software. It also used to work on a
Solaris box using Solaris' lp subsystem with Samba 2.2.x. And it does
not work with Samba 3.0.11 and Cups 1.1.23.

Has anyone else encountered this behaviour?

Thanks,
David