[cups.general] Windows-domain in username makes user:passwd

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 19 00:02:32 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Apr 18 20:50 Jochen Antesberger wrote (shortened):
> Using the web- or kde-interfaces to cups they normally don't show the
> logon-part of the device-URI. I'm using a couple of printers, shared by
> Win2k workstations, and I have to logon using the Windows-domain and my
> login, i.e. domain/username:password at win2k-workstation/printer.
>
> However the slash seems to confuse cups and it shows the full URI
> including the password when viewing the printers as nonprivileged user.

This is a known problem and some weeks ago there was a discussion
on this list and I think it is not a CUPS problem but a problem
of the smb backend i.e. a Samba problem.

I think that CUPS 'hides' the password if a special URI has a
particular format is not a real solution but only a gracious
workaround for a bug in the backend.

I think if a backend must do authentication (or needs any other kind
of secret information) then it is up to the backend to provide a
method how to supply the secrets without clear text in the URI.

For example the backend could have only placeholders in the URI like
smb://$USER:$PASSWORD@workgroup/server/share
or via the usual optional parameters in an URI like
smb://workgroup/server/share?user=$USER+password=$PASSWORD
and have a private file where the actual values for $USER and
$PASSWORD are stored.

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de