Print to file issues

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Aug 5 03:31:55 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:
> I am struggling to get a "print to a file" printer defined in CUPS on my Mac. What I would like is to have a printer that simply writes the print data stream to disk instead of an actual printer.
>
> It seems that the CUPS file URI is the appropriate vehicle to accomplish this, but I must be missing something basic.
>
> I've changed the cupsd.conf file to have FileDevice set to yes
> and the URI is set to file:/xyzzy
>
> I created the directory /xyzzy and set the protection to world read write
>
> The jobs are queue and exit the print queue, but no files appear in the /xyzzy directory.
>
> What am I missing?

The file pseudo-device must be set to the single filename you want
to write to.  You can't set it to a directory, since it will try to
write to the directory as if it was a file...

That said, even once you have set the URI to a filename there are
limitations to this approach - every job you print will overwrite the
file, and the file will be owned by and readable only by root.