"Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?"

Keiji Watanobe watanobe at slc01.tohoku.grp.ricoh.co.jp
Mon Dec 12 18:50:05 PST 2005

Hello, my name is Wat.
I would really appreciate it if anybody could help me with the following problem.

I am developing a printing system using CUPS.
This system is aimed at printing images not only with Postscript
but also our privately developed commands.

In Postcript, we can print images according to the standard CUPS specifications:
	Postscript->pstops->pstoraster->(PPD extension filter)->Backends.

So, I assume that Ghostscript has been successfully installed.
The one we installed is ESP Ghostscript ver. 7.07.1 (2003-07-12).

But our unique commands require their own rasterization process as follows:
	CommandA->CmmandAtoRaster->RastertoCommandB(PPD extension filter)->Backend.

This process will output nothing but the following CUPS error_log:
	E […] Unable to convert file 0 to printable format for job 1!
	I […] Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?

Here are 2 questions I would like to ask.

As shown above, is it possible to process rasterization without using Ghostscript(pstoraster)?

Does CUPS have any restrictions on the specification,
like it requires rasterization process by Ghostscript(pstoraster)?

For your reference, the settings of our commands are as follows:

CommandA.types
  application/CommandA         string(0,~^)
  application/CommandA-raster  string(0,<0100000064000000>)

CommandA.convs
  application/CommandA  application/CommandA-raster  100  CommandAtoRaster
---Here, I tried various cost values.

CommandA.ppd
  *cupsFilter: "application/CommandA-raster 0 RastertoCommandB"

---Then, we tried our unique rasterization process as below.

CommandA->CmmandAtoRaster->RastertoCommandB(PPD extension filter)->Backend

CUPS has installed binary packages ou Debian(Sarge).
cupsys 1.1.20final+rc1-10
gs-esp 7.07.1-9