CUPS SMP support?

oh at ceus-it.com oh at ceus-it.com
Tue Dec 20 02:13:56 PST 2005

Hi,
is CUPS able to run in SMP Mode?
We have more than 1100 Printer Queues handled by CUPS on one Server. For High Availability we are using "heartbeat" with "drbd". But when the Print Queues are filling up overnight, because some printers are powered off or stuck in paper jam, the CPU Load grows to 100% and CUPS turn to work very, very slow. I tried to define Queues on a SMP maschine , but i recognized that CUPS is using only one CPU for processing!?
Has somebody an idea how to distribute this heavy load but keep my high availablity?