[cups.general] adding a samba printer of another network

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Wed Feb 9 01:22:03 PST 2005

On 23:30, martedì 8 febbraio 2005 Daniel Kasak's cat walking on the keyboard
wrote:

> Luca Ferrari wrote:
> > Hi,
> > if I want to add a printer to cups (SMB printer) in the same network of
> > the linux machine, I can use lpadmin:
> > lpadmin -v smb://s93/hps93 .......
> >
> > but what if I want to add a printer of another network? Where can I
> > specify the ip address? I've tried with something like:
> > lpadmin -v smb://192.168.2.20/hps20
> > and the printer is added, but it does not work then.
> >
> > Any help?
> >
> > Luca
>
> That looks right. I use the web admin tool, so I can't comment on the
> 'lpadmin' bit of it, but the device URI is correct.
>
> For smb shares, remember you may have to enter a username / password,
> which makes your URI:
>
> smb://username:password@192.168.2.20/hps20
>
> Also check you can ping 192.168.2.20, and check that you can see the
> share, with something like:
>
> smbclient -U username -L 192.168.2.20
> [enter password]
>
> Also, is this 'other network' a domain? You may have to join the domain
> before you're able to connect.
>
> Also, next time you post, try adding some logs. It makes it easier to
> figure out what the problem is.

Well, the network is not a domain, and I have guest access to the printer, so
I don't need a username/password.
Here there's an example of the output of logs:

I [09/Feb/2005:09:43:12 +0100] Adding start banner page "none" to job 40.
I [09/Feb/2005:09:43:12 +0100] Adding end banner page "none" to job 40.
I [09/Feb/2005:09:43:12 +0100] Job 40 queued on 'hp711' by 'root'.

where hp711 has the following configuration in the printers.conf:

<Printer hp711>
Info Centralino Roteglia
DeviceURI smb://192.168.2.11/hp711
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

Of course I can ping the machine, as well as I can smbclient it:

sede:/var/log/cups # smbclient -L 711 -I 192.168.2.11
Password:

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        PRINTER$        Disk
        HP711           Printer
        IPC$            IPC       Comunicazioni remote tra processi

        Server               Comment

        Workgroup            Master

Any idea?

Thanks,