[cups.general] always-on receipt printing

Iain Mac Donald iain at numerixtechnology.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 10:29:32 PST 2005

Hello all,

I am using cups to print to a Star receipt printer. Everything works
just great with one small exception. If the printer is unavailable for
some reason (i/f cable unplugged, not switched on etc.) cups notices
this and the printer is marked as unavailable. So even if the printer is
switched on again, for instance, it still isn't available.

Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem as a user could go to the web page
and press the "start printer" button. Except in this case it is a retail
environment and there won't be a browser.

Now I might be missing something but I couldn't find a way to force cups
to continue printing attempts. I am reduced to considering a cron job to
grep the output of lpstat and depending on the results re-enabling the
printer using lpadmin.

Anyone got a better idea?

cupsys version 1.1.20+final+rc1-6
cups driver for Star TSP643 version 2.1.0

--
Iain Mac Donald