[cups.general] Large Cups Installation

Boelter Markus Markus.Boelter at Micronas.com
Fri Jan 7 02:51:38 PST 2005

Hi!

> Sorry, could you specify which CUPS version that is exactly?
> (I dont know what RedHat ships as "newest update"). Try
> "cups-config --version"....

Because of the mail from Michael Sweet I updated to 1.1.23 recently - same problem.

> There have been problems with browsing for large numbers of
> printers (very long ago), which were solved by avoiding a
> "burst" of many packages (in your case, 600) at once, and
> instead spreading the load evenly across a large part of the
> timespan defined by BrowseInterval (thus, "throttling" the
> browsing traffic to a more or less even level).

This passage I don't understand: Am I right when I say that the BrowsingInterval is the interval, when all printers are broadcasted (and not just one single printer)? I guess I am - beacuse every interval only one printer doesn't make sense for me. At the moment I have 5 min BrowseInterval on both cups-servers. This means, that each "packetstorm" has 5 minutes time. I think 5 min should be enough for one broadcast-interval.

What a BrowseInterval do you suggest me to try? Also a suggested TimeOut would help (both on Server and Client)

> And last, there has been another problem with browsing (more
> recent), which under some conditions only sent out 90% of
> printers during the BrowseInterval (and started all over with
> printer no. 1 at beginnint of next interval). [Note, the 90%
> is not exact, it is guesssed by me to highligt the problem.]

I don't think we have this kind of problem because the printers which appear and disappear are always different ones.

Thanks for helping me!

  Markus