Printing on a LAN

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Sun Jan 9 16:25:34 PST 2005

Murphy wrote:
> I have two Slackware machines setup, one with a printer attached which I have configured and can print to using CUPS fine.
>
> I would like the second machine to print to the printer attached to the first machine however I am at a loss as to how it's done.
>
> On the second machine I have CUPS up and running and understand that on a local network the printers should be listed within 30 secs however nothing gets listed.
>
> Should I add the printer using the CUPS web admin on the second machine, as I did on the first, then point it to the first machine ?
>
> I liked the idea of the printers on the local lan being listed automatically as our lan is a simple 3 workstations and from an admin point of view this sounds very appealing...
>
> Thanks
>
> Murphy

Ha! Good luck :)

It took me an enormous amount of time to get this feature to work.
Acutally it was a 2-man job ... each of us taking it in turns while the
other one went out for a cigarette break and a vodka :)

You need the following options:

---

Browsing On
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowseAddress 10.146.255.255
BrowseAllow 10.146.0.0/10.146.255.255
BrowseInterval 30
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowsePort 631

---

Right, now firstly, you need to modify the ip addresses to fit your
network. The BrowseAddress should be at the end of your network range (
ending in 255.255 ). I'm not networking expert, so forgive me if the
above description isn't particularly accurate. The BrowseAllow is the
range of addresses that are allowed to browse.

Next, you may or may not need the following options set. Like I said, it
took us a *lot* of mucking around to get it to work, and by the end we
were so confused / frustrated that we really have no idea how we finally
got it working.

---

<Location /jobs>
AuthClass Anonymous
AuthType None
Allow from @LOCAL
Allow from 127.0.0.1
Allow From 10.146.0.0/10.146.255.255
</Location>

<Location /printers/RicohAP3200>
AuthClass Anonymous
AuthType None
#Order Allow,Deny
Allow From @LOCAL
Allow From 10.146.0.0/10.146.255.255
</Location>

<Location /printers/Laserjet4500>
AuthClass Anonymous
AuthType None
#Order Allow,Deny
Allow From @LOCAL
Allow From 10.146.0.0/10.146.255.255
</Location>

---

You need to define each of your printers in the cupsd.conf file as above
for browsing to work. The 'Allow From @LOCAL' option by itself doesn't
work for us, but I *think* adding the 'Allow From
10.146.0.0/10.146.255.255' line may have helped us getting browsing working.

Give the above a go. If you still can't get it working, try waving a
dead chicken in the air and reciting from the bible backwards :) If this
still doesn't work, post back and I'll give you my whole damned
/etc/cups directory and you can copy and paste to your heart's content.

Dan