Where's the quota file?

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Jan 14 06:49:09 PST 2005

Anonymous wrote:
> I've set up page limiting on one of my lab printers and now
> I've reached the limit.
> Where's the log file of how many pages I've printed and is
> it editable?

It is not in a log file. It is calculated "on the fly" for each
new job, by processing the contents of the "/var/spool/cups/"
directory with its "c0000*" files (control files).

> In that case I can fool the quota system by lowering the number
> of pages I've printed.

You can also increase the quota. For this stop the cupsd, and
edit "/etc/cups/printers.conf". Or use the commandline

  lpdadmin -p printername \
           -o job-quota-period=604800 \
           -o job-page-limit=100 \
           -o job-k-limit=1024

This sets the quota periond to 604.800 seconds (a.k.a. 1 week),
the max page number to 100 (during the last passed 604.800
seconds) or 1 MByte of data (whatever is reached first). Modify
as needed.

See also this very good introduction:

  http://printing.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/quotas.php