CUPS can not talk to LPD server?

anonymous yliu0131 at brockport.edu
Thu Jan 20 15:02:30 PST 2005

I have a printer (HP4345PS) set up on Redhat 9 with LPRng.

Modified /etc/lpd.perms, the only changes made is comment out
# REJECT SERVICE=X NOT SERVER

In client machine running CUPS, setup printer with
lpd://ipaddress:515/HP4345PS

When printing test page, nothing prints, in error_log
Network host xxx is busy, down, or unreachable.

Tried to ping lpdserver from client machine, works fine.

I also trid to add ACCEPT SERVICE=X REMOTEIP=192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 and
restart lpd. Still the same, CUPS can not talk to lpd server.

Is there anything I missed?
Thanks