Timeout issue with "manual tray"-users

hansen cups at flamber.dk
Wed Jun 8 08:06:07 PDT 2005

Hey guys,

I'm running cups-base-1.1.22.0 on FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE.
Printing with RAW on queue and lp.

We got some issues, where users tend to select Manual Tray, which requires them to manual click on the printer, but they some time forgot and then the printer goes into Stop-mode, which then requires the admins to Start the printer via the web-interface.

It also occours, when there isn't any paper left in the selected tray.

This is a real problem, since some of printers goes offline and the load increases highly on the left over printers.

The only thread I found about this, was:
http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?gcups.general+v:18710

So my question is:
Does CUPS have a fix for this - perhaps disable the timeout?
Or do I need to write a script, that "hit" Start on the printers, which has stopped?