Printing from linux to a Windows 2000 Print Server

Carlos Alfaro a00768202 at itesm.mx
Wed Jun 8 11:23:05 PDT 2005

Hi

I have a little problem configuring the printers at my university, here all the printers are shared using the http sharing from windows server, here are the details of one printer(thats the info that shows the printing server).

Printer Model:	HP LaserJet 8150 PCL 6
Location:	Biblioteca primer piso
Comment:
Network Name:	http://10.18.8.130/printers/Bib1LN1/.printer
Documents:	0
Speed:	32 PPM (Number of Pages Per Minute)
Color:	Not Supported
Print on Both Sides:	Not Supported
Max Resolution:	600 DPI (Dots Per Inch)

When we add a printer in windows we must use our account and password of the campus to authenticate.

Username = tec\a00768202
Password = mypassword

if we dont add the "tec\" wich is the domain we are unable to print.

Well thats in windows

The problem is that i cant find a way to set the username and password in cupsd, ive tried adding user and password to URL, but the cups web administration automatically removes it from the url.

http://tec\a00768202:mypass@10.18.8.130/printers/Bib1LN1/.printer

and i receive

http://10.18.8.130/printers/Bib1LN1/.printer

It's a shame that in my university they dont provide support for the poor linux users so i need help from the outer world.

If you need more info or something isnt clear because my english is not good, just let me know.

Thanks in advance

Greetings from Mexico