Possible to define admin for specific printers?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Jun 17 06:04:45 PDT 2005

hubertus.fuerstenberg at ise.fraunhofer.de wrote:

> Hi,
> our institute is spread over a couple of buildings and the printers tend to get stuck in the evening when there is no admin available, so the users switch them off and back on again. CUPS then stopps the printer and as there is no admin around, they're stuck.
>
> Question is: Is it possible to define an admin/admingroup for a group of printers? So that someone from building A can stop or start printers in his/her building?
>
> cheers,
> Hubertus

Perhaps the following may help:
---snip---
Cliff Kent wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm new on this. Not a total beginner with CUPS. And have been
> administering Linux systems for 4 or 5 years now - which means I know
> just about enough to be dangerous. <g>
>
> My first question goes like this:
>
> I'm configuring RH9, CUPS and SAMBA for a small office file and print
> server. It has no internet connection.
>
> Printing is fine. I've made CUPS "web" admin available to all of the
> workstations. (all are windows) The server is headless. I have to live
> with that compromise.
>
> I've created a "printadmin" group and set this as the CUPS SystemGroup.
> The members of the "printadmin" group _can_ be trusted to monitor and
> delete print jobs. But, I wish I could limit access to other CUPS admin
> functions like "delete printer".
>
> Is there a way to grant only partial access to the CUPS admin web tool?
>
> If so, is it documented anyplace? Or, did I look right it in the docs
> and not understand?

There is no official way to do this in the current release; CUPS
1.2 provides per-operation and per-queue admin policies which is
probably what you need in the long term.

Some users have been using:

     <Location /admin?op=foo>
     Require user root
     etc.
     </Location>

to override specific admin operations (the same works for printers
and jobs, BTW) from the web interface.  "foo" for the admin interface
is one of:

     start-printer
     stop-printer
     accept-jobs