Win98se works; WinXPpro fails

roza9000 at hotmail.com roza9000 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 5 13:13:05 PST 2005

Preliminary info:
I run a file/print server for windows machines off a slackware 10.0 box. Here's my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

[global]
	workgroup = simple
	encrypt passwords = yes

	wins support = yes
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

	security = user
	invalid users = root bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp operator gopher

	load printers = yes
	printing = cups
	printcap name = cups

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	browseable = no
	public = yes
	guest ok = yes
	writable = no
	printable = yes
	printer admin = root, @ntadmins

I have a Win98se box that prints beautifully to the printer. Ironically, it is the "more advanced" WinXPpro box that I am having trouble printing with. I can browse the printer, double-click and install local drivers for it, but I am getting the message

"Access denied, unable to connect"

in many different places; in the title bar of the window that opens when I double-click the printer icon, in the "printer status" field when I open a "print..." dialog box. If this sounds like a Samba problem, I appologize for wasting your time. But, if it could be a CUPS misconfiguration problem, I would definetly appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance,
roza9000