print server scanning for network printers

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Mar 7 13:01:33 PST 2005

Hi Folks. I havn't long set up network printing on Linux. Had a lot of problems initially getting IP Masquerading to work so as to use a Linux machine as an Internet gateway. But thanks to Guarddog&Guidedog, and Firestarter, and most recently a Smoothwall Express 2.0 everythings now working well. So I thought I'd have a go at network printing. Had a few problems. The client was printing pages and pages of text. The sort of stuff that was a bit like source code, but I got that fixed. The question is. The print server was set up to scan for "all hosts" and Ethereal was showing destination 192.168.255.255 on the client machine. I then changed the machine with the print server on it to just look for 192.168.0.7. Now Ethereal on the client machine "192.168.0.7" is showing the print server scanning 192.168.0.255. I know the server is not scanning such a wide range of IP addresses now, but why is it not scanning for just the one address "192.168.0.7? One other little ink wasting problem is that on the server machine I've set ink quality to 360DPI draft, and yet on the machine that accesses the printer across the LAN I have no control over print quality, so it insists on printing in high quality with no "properties" access to change the quality of the print. Thanks in advance if I could resolve these issues. Nigel.