Restarting Printer Jobs and lpstat

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Mar 9 05:42:15 PST 2005

> Hi,
>
> Maybe I didn't have enought info. Red Hat 9. Cups 1.1.17-13 installed
> and working with a mixture of dot matrix and post-script printers.
> PreserveJobHistory Yes. PreserveJobFiles Yes. The print job files are
> left in /var/spool/cups after printing. I'm trying to restart a
> completed print job. Tried the following:
>
> [root at speedy cups]# cd /var/spool/cups
> [root at speedy cups]# ls -l *30358*
> -rw-------    1 lp       sys           630 Mar  5 11:10 c30358
> -rw-r-----    1 lp       sys          5615 Mar  5 11:10 d30358-001
> [root at speedy cups]# lp -i 30358 -H restart
> lp: set-job-attributes failed: client-error-not-possible
> [root at speedy cups]#
>
> Am I doing something wrong? I get something like this message if I try
> to restart from the browser signed in as root.
>
> I can resubmit the job file with 'lp -d printername d30358-001' and it
> works fine.
>
> Also, the following doesn't return any completed job information,
> although I just printed the job:
>
> [trent at speedy data0]$ lpstat -W completed
> [trent at speedy data0]$
>
> lpstat works ok for listing jobs printing or waiting to be printed.
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> Joe

Chech out the following : extract from html manual
PreserveJobFiles
Examples

PreserveJobFiles On
PreserveJobFiles Off

Description

The PreserveJobFiles directive controls whether the document files of completed, cancelled, or aborted print jobs are stored on disk.

A value of On preserves job files until the administrator purges them with the cancel command. Jobs can be restarted (and reprinted) as desired until they are purged.

A value of Off (the default) removes the job files as soon as each job is completed, cancelled, or aborted.

Greetz

Steven