[cups.general] Printer queue gets closed when print file is

Antoine PICOLET antoine.picolet at sagem.com
Thu Mar 17 05:51:03 PST 2005

Hello,

I am currently using CUPS 1.1.19, on a Linux SuSE Linux Entreprise Server
8.0. I do use a lot of different printers, generally using lpd and socket
backends.

I supppose that, when I send to print a file which will make a filter fail
(typically, an OS/2 BMP - by the way, is this normal ?, or some PDF
files), the job is removed by the scheduler, and gets an 'aborted' status,
and the printer queue itself is left unchanged. However, in my case, the
printer queue gets closed, and the job remains; as soon as I reopen the
queue (by 'enable'), the job tries to print again and the queue
immediately gets closed again. I have to remove the job before I can
reopen the queue.
Note that this does not happen with files in an unsupported format
(application/msword...) since they are immediately refused by the server.

I know I am using an old version of CUPS. I tried version 1.1.23, and the
problem does not seem to occur anymore, however it did not occur each time
with 1.1.19, and,I cannot find it in the list of bugs corrected between
1.1.19 and 1.1.23. Has this behavior been specifically corrected ? Does
anyone have seen this kind of problem (in any version of CUPS), or know
what kind of misconfiguration might be causing it ?

Thank you in advance .

Antoine