What is 11x17" paper under CUPS?

Carl G. Ponder cponder at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 18 05:51:42 PST 2005

I set up a series of printers first by using commands of the form

	/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p usausljp,duplex,legal  -E -v lpd://usausprt21.austin.ibm.com:515/usausljp
	lpoptions -p usausljp,duplex,legal  -o sides=two-sided-long-edge -o media=Legal

and then by invoking CUPS through the browser to get the configuration right.
This has worked for all combinations of simplex/duplex and letter/legal paper.
The "usausljp,duplex,legal" naming-scheme is a bit awkward but works okay for
all my applications.

What I can't figure out how to do is 11x17" paper. Sometimes this is referred
to as "ledger" or "tabloid". I can use any of the forms

	-o media=11x17
	-o media=Ledger
	-o media=Tabloid

etc. and the commands don't give any errors, but my files come out on letter
paper instead of 11x17. I tried modifying the properties of the printer I set
up, but CUPS only lists the options

	Letter
	Legal
	Executive
	A4
	A5
	B5 (JIS)
	Envelope B5
	Envelope #10
	Envelope C5
	Envelope DL
	Envelope Monarch

under the "Configure Printer" menu. Is there something extra I have to do? I
have cups-1.1.20-11.11.RHEL3 installed on RedHat 9.