[cups.general] page_log

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue May 10 06:49:21 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 03:36:10PM +0200, Ladinig Rudolf wrote:

> As I need some sort of page-counting, I have two questions:
> - Is it possible to send the job to the pstops filter and after that
> send him to ppmtosplc?
> - Do you know another way to get a page_log or something similar (Could
> a shell script do this before sending the job to ppmtosplc?

  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation

Then, whenever you need the page_log (but why would you need it if
you used PyKota) :

  $ dumpykota --data history --format cups >page_log

or more interesting :

  $ dumpykota --data history --format cups username=jerome hostname=192.168.1.1 billingcode=MyProject

Which would only dump jobs created by jerome on machine 192.168.1.1 and
for the MyProject project.

The other advantages are that :

        * PyKota can't be bypassed (pstops can be bypassed, as
          you already know)
        * PyKota can do hardware accounting as well.
        * PyKota doesn't care which printer driver you use.
        * With software accounting, PyKota recognizes the
          following formats :

            DSC complianet and Binary PostScript
            PCLXL (aka PCL6)
            PCL 3/4/5 (with GhostScript based drivers)
            ESC/P2
            PDF
        * etc...

hth