[cups.general] Re: HP Laserjet 4250 gets confused by pjl from

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri May 20 06:26:15 PDT 2005

If you use the original Winxx PostScript driver(s) (I mean the software
pieces, i.e. the
DLLs, not the PPDs), you'll find that that software produces "print
reeady" jobs which
are NOT supposed to be handled by an additional spooler, and these jobs
usually
are NOT really DSC compliant (even if the preferences GUI tells
something different).
Thus, a program like CUPS' pstops filter (which completely relies on the
DSC conformacne)
may easily be disturbed (but garbage like the sample file I've never
seen before).
For jobs like this it seems reaonable to select raw printing.

And, that is why we at our site still use the old (and, as of Michael
Sweet, deprecated)
NT4 kernel mode driver (it runs on W2K and XP and can co-exist with the
new user mode
drivers without problems), as that passes things like banner,
page-label, etc. options
as job ticket comments (instead of PJL statements) that are properly
handled by
the CUPS scheduler even whith raw printing.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung