[cups.general] Howto force a printer to print Grayscale?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sun May 22 08:46:47 PDT 2005

Linuxhippy wrote:

> Hello Helge,
>
> and thanks a lot for your response!
>
> >It depends on the driver software you use. Please tell us how the
> >printer is connected, post
> >(an URL to) the PPD, etc.
> >

> Since the ppd's are packages as ugly rpm-installers I uploaded just the
> ppd to http://kewlstuff.de/canoni250.ppd
> The printer is connected via USB, canon provides a special module for it
> (I think its a binary, stored in backend/canon_usb)
> I had a look into it and it seems it isn't cups fault not to provide a
> grayscale mode, is there any way to pre-filter it ? :-(
>
> Thank you in advance, lg Clemens

According to the PPD, the printer requires a special filter that
converts PostScript to
the printer's native language (pstocanonbj) which seems to be available
only as a binary.

And the PPD offers a UI choice to select a color model but offers only
RGB mode.
Thus, I suspect there is no chance to switch to grayscale mode.

BTW, as those printers usually are disigned to work primarily in a
Windows environment,
it is plausible that they only offer rgb colors on input, as the Windows
GDI only knows
about RGB colors (and RGB lacks a black channel).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung