[cups.general] 'Lock printer until my job is done' feature?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Nov 3 00:56:44 PST 2005

Hello,

On Nov 2 19:08 Daniel Kasak wrote (shortened):
> We've got an Epson R1800 printer
> Is there any way that a user can lock the print queue for everyone
> except themselves, then go and put their paper in the printer,
> submit their job, and then unlock the queue?

The right way to do this is to select "Manual Feed" as paper source
for the print job.
This way a normal printer will stop when the job arrives at the
printer until a user has pushed a button on the printer or until
there is paper in the manual feed tray.

According to
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_R1800
you need the Gutenprint driver and in the Gutenprint PPD file
there is the "Manual Feed" option but I don't know if it actually
works for this model.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de