IPP clients (MAC OS X) always default to A4 media.

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Nov 13 05:48:41 PST 2005

Darin Mayer wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't this type of lpadmin directive just
> edit the PPD file associated with the printer specified. Assuming this is
> true, I checked all the PPD files both on the server and the Mac clients and
> they all have 'Letter' flagged for the default setting. The printer is still
> requesting 'A4' paper when printing from cups clients (Macs) thru the Debian
> Server.

lpadmin does edit the PPD file, which is normally the only place
you'll find any default default options that can cause problems for
a client.

I'd go back through the Mac clients and make sure that there are
no printing preferences that are tied to A4 (in particular, you can
do a print preview and look at the page info to see what size page
was rendered)

Finally, Debian doesn't include the standard pdftops filter in their
cupsys package, so it is possible that the problem lies there - make
sure the defaults for their pdftops filter match up with your
expectations.