[cups.general] add CUPS job title into /var/log/page_log in Mac OS X Server v.10.4.x

Ted Dively ted at groupd.com
Mon Nov 14 11:20:01 PST 2005

Hi all. I've spent a few hours now researching and reading, but I
can't find any obvious method for telling Mac OS X Server v.10.4.x to
include the actual job title of a print job in /var/log/page_log. I'd
really appreciate it if someone(s) could point me in a direction that
might be helpful. I've got all the CUPS documentation, but none of it
seems to address my specific need, unless I'm somehow missing it.
What /var/log/page_log includes is the following:

printer
user
job-id (a simple numeric value)
date-time
page-number
num-copies
job-billing
hostname

What isn't included in this log, and which would be extremely useful
is the job title provided by CUPS. If I examine the jobs log in
http://localhost:631, CUPS tells me the title of the job, e.g.
"Picture 1.png", but I can't find out how to have /var/log/page_log
pick up that data. Any hints? If nothing else works, can anyone tell
me how to get the data in /var/spool/cups to include the number of
pages printed for each job?

TIA for your insights!

Ted Dively
--
Group D Communications
Technology Consulting -- IT, Databases, Software, Websites, Hosting