Problems printing Chinese texts

wouter at squirrel-systems.com wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Tue Nov 15 23:19:13 PST 2005

Hi all,

I'm running Cups at home and at work (first is a local printer on Linux Mandrake 10.1, second is a networked printer, the server running Debian Sarge and the clients Mandrake 10.1 and OS/X) and on both I have the same problems with Chinese characters, when printing from Mozilla/Firefox or Safari and Evolution. Printing from OpenOffice.org goes fine.

The problem: all the characters end up as a square, instead of the actual character.
Same result when printing from my Linux work station or from my iMac laptop.

It seems to be that Cups doesn't recognise the font or so? I have installed all the Chinese fonts I could find, and still no luck. Please advice what to install to make this work! My wife (who is Chinese) always complains about this when trying to print web pages.

Also when printing from Evolution I have this problem. I have tried to print Korean characters as well, same effect: they end up as squares.

Any help please let me know and please cc: to my e-mail! Thanks.

Wouter van Marle