Network printing difficulties

Robert Hesketh junkmail at hesketh-family.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 12:08:26 PST 2005

I have 2 Linux PCs (Gentoo)

Both have cups installed version 1.1.23-r1

I have an Epson Stylus Color 760 installed via USB on PC #1, 192.168.0.1
PC#2 is on 192.168.0.3
They are networked together via an ADSL router.

I can print to the printer from PC#1 perfectly.

PC#2 has some very odd behaviour:

KDE apps (eg Kate, Konqueror) print perfectly.
Non KDE apps, eg. Firefox, OpenOffice, GIMP require root to print (i.e. won't print as a user).

Users are the same on both PCs, and users are a member of the lp group on both PCs. I've fought with this for many weeks, and the behaviour hasn't changed since PC#1 had to be completely replaced with a new one (and obviously fresh Gentoo install).

KDE apps can even print from PC#2 if cups isn't running on PC#2

PC#1 cupsd.conf:

LogLevel info
TempDir /var/spool/cups/tmp
Port 631