How many printer can you manage with cups

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Oct 7 06:27:15 PDT 2005

takere01 at msn.com wrote:
> Hallo
>
> we would like to use an Cups Printing system for over 1000 Printers
> does any body know how many printers 1 server can handle if 1 printout per minute is Generated with about 200K size and about 10-30 % of the printers are offline

That won't be a problem for a recent system with enough disk and RAM.
(figure at least an 800MHz CPU, 1GB RAM, and at least 40GB of disk
space for spooled jobs)

> Do wie have a chanse to administer this over the webinterface?

I would not recommend it in CUPS 1.1.x, since the web interface
will list all classes/printers/jobs on a single page.

We are close to committing paged and searchable versions of the
current printers/jobs/classes pages to the CUPS 1.2 tree.  That
should make the web interface usable for large numbers of printers
or jobs...