[cups.general] The settings ar not assigned to the printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Oct 7 09:21:39 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Oct 6 09:59 Anonymous wrote (shortened):
> updated SuSE 9.2 to SuSE 9.3
> Samba Fileserver ... all clients working with Windows
> The clients download the PS drivers from the CUPS-Server.
> change the settings of any printer to any Tray or the Manuel Feed,
> the printer pull the paper from the Default.

Since a newer Samba version we have "raw" printing set by default
in the Samba config file /etc/samba/smb.conf
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        cups options = raw
because "raw" printing is the right way when as usual the printer
drivers run on the client systems and produce arbitrary
printer specific binary data (e.g. for inkjet printers).

In your case the client systems produce generic PostScript
and I guess you have only PostScript printers because
otherwise "raw" printing would result nothing or the
PostScript source code.

Your generic PostScript should go through the CUPS filtering
system to produce the right printer specific PostScript.
Therefore in your case  "raw" printing is wrong.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de