Color to black & white filter

Brad Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Thu Oct 13 22:59:55 PDT 2005

Pierre Ossman wrote:
> I recently bought a Samsung CLP-550N color printer. This printer lacks
> the ability (or at least has an incomplete PPD) to convert color prints
> to black and white. Most programs can do this conversion before passing
> it on for printing, but not all. So I was wondering if there exists a
> filter for cups that will convert all colors to bw in a print job.

I'm working on the same problem with a different printer...
I tried this
modify the PPD  on the cups server to only allow BW printing
set up cups to use that PPD and disable raw input

The problem I have is that as the job goes through pstops it gets
mangled.  I've hacked pstops to output valid ps (with only one ctrl-D)
but there is still color in the output (the windows test page).

Let me know if you come up with anything!

brad