shortening "retry interval" to test when printer back online

d.thomas at its.uq.edu.au d.thomas at its.uq.edu.au
Tue Oct 18 18:02:27 PDT 2005

I want to update the CUPS server I've been using for a few years
and want to take the opportunity to resolve some annoyances with
my installation of CUPS v1.1.19

I don't do a lot of printing, but often it is early in the day.
I print a job from my Mac then walk downstairs to the printer which
often gets switched-off overnight. So I turn it on and then wait
for a while before CUPS notices the printer is now alive. Going
back to my office and printing a test page often seems to help.

I've had a brief look through the 1.1.23 code but could not find
where it retries printing jobs. I would like the retry interval to
be around a minute or two, and don't see that as resulting in any
significant load on server and printer(s). While it would be nice
if it was a configuration option, I don't mind changing a constant
in the code and rebuilding the server. Would lowering the "retry
interval" result in more rapid updates to printer state in the
web interface ?

cheers,
Danny Thomas