[cups.bugs] Re: cupsd: Child exited with status 98!

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Oct 19 02:05:30 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Oct 18 15:41 Scott Anderson wrote (shortened):
> ypbind had decided to bind to port 631

Known problem.
Reason is that ypbind (and probably all Sun RPC related programs)
search for any free port >512 (or some value like this)
and if port 631 is not yet in use they may grab it.
Note that any other program or service can also bind to port 631
(i.e. this time it was ypbind but another time it may be anything
else).

> (3) Is there a way to make ypbind stay out of the way?

As far as I know there is no config file to tell ypbind
(and probably all Sun RPC related programs) not to use
port 631.

Therefore you must use a workaround:
Try to start cupsd before ypbind.
How to do this depends on the init system you use.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de