[cups.general] Is cups a total mystery?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Oct 28 00:17:44 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Oct 27 19:00 Gene Heskett wrote (shortened):
> On Thursday 27 October 2005 16:50, anonymous at easyw.com wrote:
> >Hello all. I apologize if I am beeing offensive but I cannot believ the
> > lack of information and knowledge on cups. I have asked my trustworthy
> > fourms (this being one) on how to add an LPD Host queue (and actually
> > get it to work) and have gotten no response. The documentation "states"
> > to add xinetd, create the printer service and then HTTP://LOCALHOST:631
> > and follow all the prompts. That is inadequate documentaion to me!
>
> First, the reference to xinetd is new to me.  Yes I run it, but it has
> little or nothing to do with cups that I'm aware on.

cups-lpd is a ("receive-only") LPD mini-server which is
included in the CUPS software to let a CUPS system accept
print jobs via LPD protocol (see "man cups-lpd").
cups-lpd is run via inetd or xinetd.

Note the difference in the direction of the data flow:
* To let a CUPS system accept print jobs via LPD protocol
  (e.g. when old-stlye client systems can only send print
  jobs via LPD protocol), you need cups-lpd.
* To send a print job from a CUPS system to a remote LPD
  you need only to set up the print queue on the CUPS system
  so that the "lpd" backend is used ("lpadmin -v lpd://...").

For an overview about CUPS you may for example have a look at
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/jsmeix_print-cups-in-a-nutshell.html

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de