Limiting list of printers seen by user?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Oct 31 07:23:36 PST 2005

Erik Forsberg wrote:
> You definitely have a point.
>
> If I made a patch that read a configuration variable to determine if
> requesting-user-name should be sent or not, would you accept that?

Ew, no.  Environment variables have there place, but I don't want
to introduce one to control whether an API functions one way or
another - a bit too hackish, and it will make testing and supporting
legacy APIs that much harder.

Unless someone comes up with an elegant solution with no serious
side-effects, we will *not* be adding the requesting-user-name
attribute to the cupsGetClasses() or cupsGetPrinters() functions.

Right now the user just has to sift through more printers than are
actually available because the app is using an API that was
deprecated in CUPS 1.1.  It is the responsibility of the application
to use the current APIs and thus provide the latest functionality.