New client doesn't show remote printers

Felix E. Klee fk at linuxburg.de
Mon Sep 19 03:45:48 PDT 2005

I set up a new system (SuSE 9.2, 32bit), "standard92", with CUPS and
copied the CUPS configuration (everything in /etc/cups) from a
different system, "oregon".  The new system, however, isn't able
to obtain any of the remote printers from "rex3", a CUPS server (there
is no output from the latter command):

  oregon> lpstat -p -h rex3
  printer Brother7820N now printing Brother7820N-0.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
  printer K600 is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
  printer kyocera600 is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
  printer mfc7820n is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
  printer minolta is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
  printer tp0 is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
  standard92> lpstat -p -h rex3

Of course, I've checked the CUPS configuration on the server,
"rex3".  But I couldn't find anything wrong with it either: All
machines in the network 192.168.0.* are allowed access.  Also, I
couldn't find anything suspicious in the log files under
"/var/log/cups/error_log", neither on the new client nor on the server.

Now, I wonder: How do I debug the problem, i.e. how do I find out more?
Any suggestions?

--
Felix E. Klee
fk at linuxburg.de    (work)