Raw printing to non-raw queue

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Apr 10 15:33:40 PDT 2006

I have two independent SUSE 10.0 hosts.  Both have cups 1.1.23

Suddenly, why I do not know, in the case of one of these hosts, raw printing via the 'lpr -o raw' command to non-raw queues has failed.

/var/log/cups/error_log ...

print_job: Unsupported format 'application/vnd.cups-raw'!
Hint: Do you have the raw file printing rules enabled?
Sending error: client-error-document-format-not-supported

Ah, there is the answer, and it is what is usually offered by responders on the lists - "uncomment the appropriate lines in/etc/cups/mime.convs and /etc/cups/ ".

#application/octet-stream application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -

#application/octet-stream

But, wait a minute, on both systems, these lines are commented out and that arrangement had been working well and still is working well on one of the systems.  It appears that some other factor is now preventing raw printing.  But where is the culprit?

In the case of the failing system, I also find a problem with the following command ...
    lp -o raw filename
    lp: unable to print file: client-error-bad-request
while it is my understanding that cups supports both 'lpr -o raw' and 'lp -o raw'.

Any help would be appreciated.

Why does '-o raw' now fail?
Why is cups now complaining about an unsupported format?
Where in the OS are the "raw file printing rules" enabled if not in mime.convs and mime.types?

-Robert