[cups.general] foomatic and cups: how to make autogenaration work via cups web interface?

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 8 08:38:24 PDT 2006

Running Ubuntu/Dapper and I've installed

ii  foomatic-db                  20060408-1ubuntu1
linuxprinting.org printer support - database
ii  foomatic-db-engine           3.0.2-20060318-1ubuntu1
linuxprinting.org printer support - programs
ii  foomatic-db-gutenprint       5.0.0~rc2-0ubuntu6
linuxprinting.org printer support - database
ii  foomatic-filters             3.0.2-20060318-2
linuxprinting.org printer support - filters

in particular I have not installed foomatic-filters-ppds as I would like
to have the PPD files
generated dynamically. I have tried to do this via the webinterface for
cups-1.2.2 (Ubuntu packaged)
package but I don't see anything with a foomatic reference. I have tried
reading the docs
associated with cups and foomatic at linuxprinting.org and I haven't
found anything other
run foomatic manually. I seem to recall that one can add a softlink in
cups somewhere
that will allow auto generation? The only thing I see currently is
CUPS+Gutenprint in the listing
given on cups webpage configuration where one is to choose a PPD file.
The fact that
gutenprint shows up is likely due to the presence of the package
cupsys-driver-gutenprint.

Walter