browsing printers

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Aug 23 07:48:29 PDT 2006

Michael De Vlaminck <michael.devlaminck at cs.kuleuven.be> wrote (Wednesday 23 August 2006 16:29):

> Hello,
>
> I'm using cups 1.2 and I was wondering if it's possible to choose which
> printers are browsed to a certain ip.
> Let's say I have 5 printers and our network is divided in two parts.
> One part is for our personel and the other part is for the students. The
> student part has it's own cups server (because it is behind a firewall)
> which receives it's printers from the "main" printserver through a
> browse directive. But there are only 2 printers which the students can
> use. Is it possible to only browse those 2 printers to the students cups
> server?
> Right now we do this with our accounting system but it would be much
> better if the students can't even see the printers they are not supposed
> to use.
>
> thanks
> Michael De Vlaminck

What you can do with 1.2.x currently is this:

 * sharing/browsing on a per-printer basis to the print clients
 * but once a printer is up for browsing, it can be seen by *all*
   clients  (not just a certain group of clients)

Maybe it helps you already this way? (In case the printers you don't
want to be browsed are used only via local users).

Cheers,
Kurt