[cups.general] Can't print bank statement from ar, test page fine.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizononline.net
Thu Aug 24 10:01:20 PDT 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 06:57, Helge Blischke wrote:
>Tim Waugh wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 22:56 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>Humm, I don't have a FONTPATH env var.  And from that logging I sent,
>>> it found the other variations on that font, apparently w/o any
>>> problems, so I guess I'm still puzzled as to what to do next Helge.
>>
>> The correct variable name is actually GS_FONTPATH, and it's not the
>> GS_FONTPATH variable in your login environment that's important but the
>> execution environment of ghostscript while processing the job.  For
>> foomatic jobs on Fedora Core/Red Hat Enterprise Linux it gets set
>> in /usr/bin/foomatic-gswrapper:
>>
>> $ENV{'GS_FONTPATH'} = '/usr/share/fonts';
>>
>> ..meaning that any fonts under '/usr/share/fonts' are allowed to be
>> read by ghostscript.
>>
>> Do you think there are other font paths that should be added?
>>
>> Tim.
>> */
>
>Yes, the environment variable is GS_FONTPATH. I reported gs' internal
>system variable name by accident.
>
>To set this variable reliably for use with CUPS, insert an appropriate
>statement into your /etc/init.d/cups startup script.
>
>Helge

$GS_LIB in the env is being set, someplace, to "/root/.fonts" but its not
in the above script.  Niether is GS_FONTPATH, and an 'env' doesn't return
a definition of it.

grepping for GS_LIB returns only the tmp copy of this message when launched
in /root, and some previous messages concerning it in the sent-mail file
and nothing when launched against /etc/*/*

Can this be formatted in the manner of playing with the PATH variable, with
multiple paths colon seperated?

A locate fonts return searched for directories gives:
-------------
/etc/X11/xserver/C/print/models/PSdefault/fonts
/etc/X11/xserver/C/print/models/SPSPARC2/fonts
/etc/X11/xserver/C/print/models/HPLJ4050-PS/fonts
/etc/X11/xserver/C/print/models/CANONC3200-PS/fonts
/etc/X11/xserver/C/print/models/PSspooldir/fonts
/etc/X11/xserver/C/print/models/GSdefault/fonts
/etc/X11/xserver/C/print/models/CANONBJ10E-GS/fonts
/etc/X11/xserver/C/print/models/PS2PDFspooldir-GS/fonts
/etc/X11/xserver/C/print/models/HPDJ1600C/fonts
/etc/X11/xserver/C/print/models/HPLJ4family/fonts
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/gedit-2/preferences/print/fonts
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/gedit-2/preferences/print/fonts/%gconf.xml
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/gedit-2/preferences/print/fonts
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/evolution/mail/display/fonts
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/evolution/mail/display/fonts/%gconf.xml
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/gedit-2/preferences/print/fonts
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/gedit-2/preferences/print/fonts/%gconf.xml
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/evolution/mail/display/fonts
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/evolution/mail/display/fonts/%gconf.xml
/etc/gnome/fonts
/etc/gnome/fonts/gnome-print-rpm.fontmap
/etc/gnome/fonts/fontmap2
/etc/gnome/libgnomeprint-2.0/fonts
/etc/gnome/libgnomeprint-2.0/fonts/libgnomeprint-rpm.fontmap
/lib/kbd/consolefonts
/opt/openoffice.org2.0/share/fonts
/opt/openoffice.org2.0/share/fonts/truetype
/usr/bin/pdffonts
/usr/bin/omfonts
/usr/java/jre/lib/fonts
/usr/java/jre/lib/oblique-fonts
/usr/java/demo/jfc/Java2D/src/fonts
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/lib/fonts
/usr/lib/Amaya/fonts
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/res/fonts
/usr/local/share/xine/libxine1/fonts
/usr/local/share/fonts
/usr/local/Acrobat5/Reader/intellinux/fonts
/usr/local/mozilla/res/fonts
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.5/share/fonts
/usr/local/firefox-installer/res/fonts
/usr/local/oldmoz-fox-stf/res/fonts
/usr/share/dosemu/Xfonts
/usr/share/texmf/fonts
/usr/share/fonts
/usr/share/cups/fonts
/usr/share/ogonkify/fonts
/usr/share/a2ps/fonts
/usr/share/OOo-1.15/share/fonts
/usr/share/xine/libxine1/fonts
/usr/share/tuxracer/fonts
/usr/share/eel/fonts
/usr/share/gnopernicus/fonts
/usr/share/xplanet/fonts
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
/root/.lyx/xfonts
/root/.gkrellm2/themes/Operational/fonts
/root/.gnome2/share/fonts
/root/.kde/share/fonts
/root/.mozilla/fonts
/root/kde3.3/share/doc/HTML/en/kcontrol/fonts
/root/kde3.3/share/mimelnk/fonts
/root/kde3.3/share/lyx/xfonts
/root/.gimp-2.0/fonts
----------------

Some of which contain no fonts, but just a registered list of those the app
can use, while others may contain several tens of files, but overall, its
patheticly & needlessly complex IMNSHO.

And which I think you'll have to agree is past being ridiculous when one is
troubleshooting a fonts problem and needs to copy yet another duplicate
from one dir to another to fix, taking an hour just to figure out which
directory to get it from, and where to put YAC of a font someplace so as
to keep everybody happy.

In short, font management in linux seems to be the result of a dice roll,
giving one of 2 to 12 as the choice in a list of a dozen places each coder
is fond of hiding his fonts in.  It should be collated down to a single
place for ALL systemwide usable displayable fonts, one for systemwide
printing fonts, and a ~/.fonts for each user to keep his personal bag of
tricks in, and the search order should be the systemwide
(display/printing) fonts dir followed by that users .fonts dir.

I won't go so far as to offer violators a glass of hemlock tea over it, but
the thought has crossed my mind a time or two when fighting an unwinnable
except one round at a time, 1000 round fight with fonts.

Now, with reference to /etc/init.d/cups, from its linux section:
---------
        Linux*)
                IS_ON=/bin/true
                if test -f /etc/init.d/functions; then
                        . /etc/init.d/functions
                        ECHO=echo
                        ECHO_OK="echo_success"
                        ECHO_ERROR="echo_failure"
                else
                        ECHO=echo
                        ECHO_OK=:
                        ECHO_ERROR=:
                fi
                ;;
--------
Where would one put this bit of GS_FONTPATH setup to do the most good?
Above the if, or below the fi?
And how much of the above list of font resources gs may be able to use
should be incorporated into this GS_FONTPATH export?  All of it would
obviously be a DOS from a buffer overflow.

--
Cheers, Gene
People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should append the