[cups.general] CUPS slow to start

Minatra, Pat H. pminatra at hsutx.edu
Thu Aug 24 10:58:03 PDT 2006

It seems that what I am finding out is the fact that CUPS somehow
believes the jobs are never finishing, that they are staying in a
pending/active status.  In the past I tried to resolve this by using beh
but it did not work at all and I have not been able to find any other
solutions and until I can find a way for CUPS (and I am not really sure
what specifically it is looking it) to convince CUPS that the jobs are
finished I would presume that I will continue to have this problem if I
set MaxJobs to a number other than 0.  What leads me to believe this is
that when I do an "lpstat -t | grep printer" and the result has
something like this:

-----start snip
printer BO4TNW is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
        Print file sent, waiting for printer to finish...
-----end snip

Even though the printer has completed the job, CUPS never gets the
message, I installed a back end error handler and this matter was still
never resolved and I believe this to be the 'real' problem.

The key words are "pending/active job" which I also have pondered over
in the admin manual trying to determine what makes the system think that
a job is pending or active; I have not been able to come up with that
answer so if anyone knows I would really appreciate some guidance.

Thank you so much and have a GREAT day!

-------------------------
"Life is but a twinkle in the eye of eternity"
"The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance
between your knees and the floor"
"sorrow looks back - worry looks around - faith looks up"
Regards,
Pat H. Minatra - N5GJR
(325) 670-5804 voice
(325) 670-1570 fax