job name to lpr queue

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Dec 6 09:14:29 PST 2006

gary wrote:
> I am sending a job via cups to a queue on a front end for a xerox, which is
> some specialized software running on a Sun. The job I am sending is
> already a postscript file, and is being sent lpr via a raw cups queue by
> the command
> lp -t $strnm -d doc1 /fixedfolder/$strnm.ps
> where doc1 is the name of the queue and $strnm resolves to the unique part
> of the name of the file. My problem is that the jobs do not show up in the
> front end queue with the unique name, but instead show something like
> "261-1". The job does show up in CUPs webadmin queue with the correct
> name. Jobs
>
> printed from Windows do show the name in the xerox queue.
>
> I tried changing the queue from raw to using the xerox ppd, but this did
> not help (and added unneeded job ticket baggage).
> The job name shows up on the front-end as soon as the job is received,
> before any processing is done, so I don't think it is embedded in the ps
> anywhere.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I guess you are talking about a DocuTech 61xx or the like, running
DocuSP on the SUN box.

If you tell us how your CUPS queue is configured, I presumably can
tell you how to pass the title to the Xerox box.

Helge

PS: The easiest way is to use the IPP gateway; in that case the
title string will be correctly passed.
--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung