[cups.general] CUPS on OSX

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Dec 17 09:02:11 PST 2006

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 07:49:25AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> My specific problem is I can't send a fax from an ibook.  The fax
> printer (Internal Modem) doesn't show up in any of the Apple
> printer/fax lists.

Well, it was not a very complicated problem.

I don't use that ibook very often, and it turns out that when I first
purchased the ibook I must have set ServerName to point to the machine
on the LAN with the printers.

That meant the ibook no longer looked at the local cupsd, which is
where the fax printer is listed.

I set ServerName back to localhost and added the remote host to
BrowserPoll cupsd.conf.

Now, I see both the remote printers and the local fax printer
"Internal Modem" in the OSX UI.

What I'm still confused about is why, when I could only see the remote
printers in the Mac printer dialogs (and not the fax), that all three
were listed in localhost:631 printer list.

I solved this by reading all the docs again -- and then reading the
docs for the config files.  It's  obvious now that I realize how the
client's find printers.  I must have missed in the overview of CUPS
about clients applications finding cupsd servers.

I called Applecare and also stopped by a local "Genius Bar" at an
Apple store and both recommended re-installing the OS.  Seems a bit
extreme for a configuration problem.  Brought me back to what running
Windows was like.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org