Pages come out backwards

Glenn Ammons glenn.ammons at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 15:55:57 PST 2006

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> Glenn Ammons wrote:
>
> > I am using CUPS to print via IPP to an HP LaserJet 1012 that is
> > connected to my wife's Mac (running OS X).  If a file is printed
> > from the Mac, the first page comes out first.  If the file is
> > printed from my machine (running Ubuntu 6.10), the first page
> > comes out last.
>
> From which application do you print the job on the client? And if
> you print from the commandline, which file format are you sending
> off to print?

Ah.  Thanks, that was it.  On my machine, I use "lp" to print a
PostScript file:

    % lp refcard.ps

That comes out backwards.  My wife uses various Mac applications.  I
just tried lp from the Mac and, lo, it prints backwards, too.  So the
problem is with the PPD file on the Mac, in which "DefaultOutputOrder"
is set to "Reverse".  I'll try changing it and hope that my wife's
jobs don't start coming out backwards.

> Are you aware of the various job options supported by CUPS, such as
> "-o outputorder=reverse"? (see http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sum.html#4_3_3)

I found old documentation for that option, but it has no effect.
Also, "outputorder" is not one of the options supported by the printer
(should it be?):

    % lpoptions -l
    PageSize/Media Size: *na-letter na-legal executive size-8.5x13 iso-a4 iso-a5 iso-a6 iso-b5 jis-b5 double-post-card sixteen-k na-number-10-envelope monarch-envelope iso-c5-envelope dl-envelope iso-b5-envelope post-card Custom
    PageRegion/PageRegion: na-letter na-legal executive size-8.5x13 iso-a4 iso-a5 iso-a6 iso-b5 jis-b5 double-post-card sixteen-k na-number-10-envelope monarch-envelope iso-c5-envelope dl-envelope iso-b5-envelope post-card

Thanks.
--glenn