[cups.general] back to square one with job killing

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 21 10:15:16 PST 2006

On Dec 21, 2006, at 1:11 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> rebooted, including a powerdown on the printer which was still pumping
> out paper when the machine was half rebooted.  I'd killed the job from
> the web page, and had gone around with mc nuking stuff related to
> the job
> to no avail...
>
> Is there no reliable way to stop such a runaway, resource wasting job
> except a full powerdown on the whole chain?

Power printer off, kill job (if it still exists), power printer back
on.  Modern laser printers have humongous buffers.  (I've watched our
Dell W5300 suck down an entire large queue from the server while it's
warming up to print the burst page for the first job.)

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]
allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university
KF8NH