Howto configure generic text only printer

Bernd Krumböck b.krumboeck at rewe-group.at
Fri Dec 29 14:00:10 PST 2006

Hi manu!

Try raw printing, or a system v interface script.
Look into the lpadmin man page on how to set this up.

example system v script (from Brandon) which has been posted on this list
some days ago:

#! /bin/bash
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin export PATH # paranoia
job="$1"
user="$2"
title="$3"
copies="$4" # the only thing we actually use
options="$5"
shift; shift; shift; shift; shift
f=""
if [ $# = 0 ]; then
     # save stdin to a temp file so we can print it properly
     f="`mktemp /tmp/pjbXXXXXXXX`" || exit 1
     cat >"$f"
     set -- "$f" # so now it's a script argument
fi
# if you need to printf(1) escape sequences to set draft mode, etc., do so
here
: ${copies:=1}
for pf in "$@"; do # for each file argument
     while [ $copies -gt 0 ]; do # for each requested copy, if people
print with "lp -nCOPIES ..."
        cat "$pf"
        printf "\f"
        let copies--
     done
done
if ! [ "x$f" = x ]; then
     # clean up our temporary file from above
     rm "$f"
fi
exit 0

(be careful with line breaks during comments)

best regards!
Bernd