Mac OS X Server and CUPS

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Feb 9 08:26:11 PST 2006

Hello,

Does anyone know how to use CUPS on Mac OS X Server without enabling printer sharing through the server admin tool?  I have installed the freshest version of CUPS and have gone through the configuration files many times trying to open things up.  I have also tried enabling the firewall and allowed the printing ports and no luck.  It does not work with the firewall turned off, either.  Has anyone had any luck bypassing Apple's software and runnning only CUPS and not their "PrintingServices".

The reason why I would like to get rid of this is because I have run across some problems where /var/spool/PrintingServices/ directory gets bad data and stalls all print jobs.  I would really like to trim down the installation to the bare necessities.

Thanks,
Alex