Printer stopped:

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Tue Feb 21 07:11:10 PST 2006

> I am using Samba and Cups as printing Backend for windows. My problem is that when a printer goes out of paper cups stopps the printer, but it will not restart the printer if paper is refilled, is that normal? Can i configure cups in the way to retry printing in that case and restart the printer automatically?

This can be troublesome when you have lots of printers. What I do is
setup a cron job in the servers to run every 5 minutes to check the
printers status.

When running the following command in the server, it will show a list
if any "stopped or disabled" printer as seen from the web interface:

  lpstat -v|grep -i disable

Enable the printer queue using the lpadmin command. There's probably a
better way but that works for me.

Hope that helps!

Angel