[cups.general] Re: Native Win32 Cups Client?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Feb 23 06:02:39 PST 2006

Hello,

On Feb 23 07:14 Anonymous wrote (shortened):
> So in CUPS, the Win32 CUPS client discovers all printers on the
> local Subnet, it then adds these to the Windows printer list,
> telling Windows to use the HP Colour Laserjet Postscript driver.
> Then when a user prints to one of the CUPS discovered printers
> it just sends a postscript job over to the CUPS server that has
> that printer attached which does the neccesary filtering ...

This would not work well - if it works at all.

Reason:

As far as I know the HP Color LaserJet PostScript driver does not
produce generic printer-independent PostScript which is needed
by the CUPS filtering system to work properly.

Note that PostScript has two layers built-in:
The plain page description stuff which is printer-independent
and additionally output-device dependent stuff (often done
via the "setpagedevice" operator).

Furthermore the HP Color LaserJet PostScript driver may
additionally produce HP's printer job language (PJL) stuff
which is no PostScript at all.

A page description language (PDL) tells the printer how the
printout should look like. For example, it may tell the printer
to print the word "Hello".

In contrast, a job control language (JCL) tells the printer
how the printout is to be made, e.g. from which tray the paper
is to be taken and whether to activate the duplex mode or the
toner saving mode.

PostScipt can do both PDL and JCL.
Additionally there is HP's PJL which is another JCL.

For details you may have for example a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Information_for_Printer_Manufacturers_Regarding_Linux_Support

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de