[cups.general] Status 8

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 26 13:25:15 PST 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 10:54, Chris Maness wrote:

>> >I did and I get the same messages over and over, and then it says
>> > cups close.  Is it looping.  CUPS worked when I just used the
>> > filters that are there already, but I am trying to use pips-2200
>> > filter for better quality prints with my epson.
>>
>> This doesn't look like the /var/log/cups/error_log.  No errors are
>> listed in this snippet, so its not usefull.  And I'll snip it.
[...]
>That was the log. It wasn't showing any errors when I set logging to
> debug2. It ony showed errors when I set it to warn.

In that event, I do not see any errors that I recognize in that snippet.
That would lead me to believe that the error is someplace in the path
beyond the 'cups handled' path.  So we grab a shotgun to go hunting
with.

1: Is the printer a usb printer?

2: If it is, is the module for usb printing support either loaded or
compiled into the kernel?  Here its compiled in and hence invisible. It
would be called usblp if modularized.

3: Do you have the device in /dev?  I am not using udev yet, so I have
this collection:
-----------
[root at coyote linux-2.6.16-rc4]# ls -l /dev/lp*
crw-rw----  1 root lp 6, 0 Feb 23  2004 /dev/lp0
crw-rw----  1 root lp 6, 1 Feb 23  2004 /dev/lp1
crw-rw----  1 root lp 6, 2 Feb 23  2004 /dev/lp2
crw-rw----  1 root lp 6, 3 Feb 23  2004 /dev/lp3
[root at coyote linux-2.6.16-rc4]# ls -l /dev/usb/lp*
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180,  0 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp0
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180,  1 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp1
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180, 10 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp10
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180, 11 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp11
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180, 12 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp12
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180, 13 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp13
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180, 14 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp14
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180, 15 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp15
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180,  2 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp2
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180,  3 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp3
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180,  4 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp4
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180,  5 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp5
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180,  6 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp6
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180,  7 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp7
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180,  8 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp8
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180,  9 Feb 23  2004 /dev/usb/lp9
Quite a managerie to drive one printer :)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: