Can CUPS print two-sided documents 2-up?

Tom Moertel tom at moertel.com
Mon Jan 9 15:50:03 PST 2006

> Tom Moertel wrote:
> > As a temporary workaround, is there any way to inject a
> > blank initial page?  That would push page 1 to a right-hand page.
>
> Nope, no way to do that (and that wouldn't accomplish what you are
> trying to do, the pages need to be ordered differently for booklet
> printing...)

Ah, I now see that we are talking about different things.

To clarify, I don't want to make a booklet.  Rather, I want to print a two-sided document 2-up while preserving spreads.  (No folding involved.)   As long as pages 2 and 3 of the document end up as a spread on a sheet of paper, I'm satisfied, regardless of what appears on the other side of that sheet.  (In fact, I don't care if the back side of the sheet is blank.)

Does that make sense?

For what I want, being able to inject a blank initial page would indeed do the trick.  Is there any way, for example, I could keep a blank 1-page document handy and use it to insert a blank half-spread?  I've tried the following, but the second document seems to be forced onto a new spread, undoing the desired effect:

  lpr -o number-up=2 blank.pdf two-sided-doc.pdf

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Tom